Hints of spring and an appeal for recognition for Dowlais

 Though the weather has been mostly pretty gloomy this week, some definite signs of spring have arrived; for instance, this is the very first Blackthorn blossom of the year that I have seen. It was not there yesterday, so must have just opened this morning.


Firstly though an appeal to any readers in North Somerset. Our council is holding a consultation about its new Green initiative strategy. Link here 

http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/my-services/libraries-leisure-open-spaces/parks-countryside/green-infrastructure-strategy

For some reason it is not clear that Dowlais is included as an area to improve biodiversity or improve sustainable grassland. The questionnaire only has a few questions so I would ask that anyone with an interest in wildlife fills it in to show our passion for the area and our commitment to leaving a better environment for the next generations. It took me about 10 mins to complete and use the "what more can we do box" to put in a plea for more wader habitat at Dowlais.


Appeal over, its back to my wanderings...


When people talk about the "First Green Shoots" then this is a literal example; it being Hazel bursting into leaf this very morning.


A more traditional sign of Spring was the arrival on Saturday (20th) of a Sand Martin hunting for insects over the scrape. This was easily the earliest I have ever seen one and indeed the first in England this year though there have been several since. No doubt the main arrival will still happen in March and April along with Swallows etc.


The other bird that has clearly been moving through our area this week is Mediterranean Gull. This is a fairly recent colonist to Britain and still unusual in our area. For instance last year I could only find one despite a lot of searching. This week, however, I have seen four different ones, told apart by their ages and states of moult.

This is a classic Winter adult with it's black face mask, (behind the commoner Black-headed Gull) out on the pill



This next bird (on the right) was one of two adults that I saw on different days. Both were in almost complete summer plumage with striking black hoods. 

(Note the white wing tips that mark adult Mediterraneans out from Black-headed gulls as adults)



Finally, today's bird was a much younger first-winter, i.e. a bird hatched last summer. This flew past me at Dowlais this morning and, unusually for me, one hasty photo, out of 6, was sharp !


Hopefully this passage will become an established feature in future years.


The only other, very striking, sight this week was a Green Woodpecker in the allotments by St Andrews church which stayed for a few seconds before moving to the back wall.


With the warmer weather, a few insects are on the wing including my first hoverfly of the year, in my garden. Many more to come I'm sure

Eristalis tenax, I believe


Spring may not be fully here yet, but it has certainly climbed out of bed, flicked back the curtain, and considered a brief foray worth it's while



Comments

  1. Dowlais was full of waders (mostly dunlin) on Wednesday's late high tide due to someone walking their dogs at Channel View

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I wasn't sure of any other way to contact you, so apologies for posting here. I was wondering if you'd heard anything further from Amazon re Alan Vittery's book. I don't seem to be making progress. My e-mail is michaelwakeman61@gmail.com if you have anything positive from them. Cheers Mike

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cape Verde 1 : in search of rare petrels and new insects

Cape Verde 2 : six days on Santa Antao