staying keen when things don't change

 Another gloomy, wet week in the main but I've decided to plough on and do my loop walk just about every day. Today, however the sun came out and the wind dropped and Clevedon Pill looked sumptuous



Mostly, though I have been seeing the same birds each day though one morning the black headed gulls...



....were joined by a smart adult winter Mediterranean gull for several milliseconds. Pointing the camera towards the distant flock was too slow a manoeuvre and the bird had flown off before I could find it in the viewfinder. (This, all Black-headed group, were much closer I might add)


Tides have been fairly high , mostly covering Blackstone rocks and moving off any roosting waders from there.


The first picture shows a typical view of the rocks as the tide has risen enough to cut them from the shore. 



The next two pics show the power of my Nikon superzoom to "see" Shelducks and even Dunlin.



Luckily some birds come closer and can simply be enjoyed; such as this Pied Wagtail



And I always try to photograph any pipits as I am continuously trying to learn more about identifying them. This Rock Pipit, for example has rather pale legs and twice gave a sharp twsit, much shorter than the usual call




There have been at least two Little Egrets,either along the river, or in the pill this week and these tend to be photogenic



The very best experience of the week came this morning though.


With storm Christoff moving away the sky was clear and the ground crisp. Arriving alongside the golf course by the scrape field I was thrilled to hear two Skylarks belting out their song.

A few hundred yards farther on a couple more were squabbling with crests raised and I managed a short video of one of them from the fence while they were distracted.



Next week, more rain and gales are predicted so I suspect that little will change much, but nevertheless it will be worth looking anyway

Another Skylark picture to finish with, you don't often see the crest so clearly




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cape Verde 2 : six days on Santa Antao

Cape Verde 1 : in search of rare petrels and new insects