Local pipits and a plan that worked

I have been assiduously searching for rare pipits this autumn. This has involved many early mornings on Wains Hill with a recorder just waiting for that fly-over Olive-backed or Red-throated .

Numerous trips to the Yeo through ideal Richard's habitat, Slogs around Steart (the day before a Richard's

turned up) and scrutiny of every Rock Pipit in case it was the very similar, Buff-bellied Pipit from America.

The results so far have been ..........lovely views of Meadow Pipits.





Some of which seemed less than happy to meet me



And truly super views of Rock Pipits





But nothing else, Nada, Zip, Zilch

I will keep trying though and eventually I will turn up something.

As usual I tried to spend one day off the patch each week and again, as I often do I headed for the levels

I decided that I would love to see an Otter again as it has been a long time since my last one. So I drove to Westhay reserve and quizzed the Somerset Wildlife Trust officer there as to my best approach. He suggested that the farthest hide away, called North Hide, offered the least certainty of failure . So off I slogged.


The hide itself is fairly new and well designed with two floors. As the only person there, I settled into the top seat, opened a window, got out the camera and broke out the coffee. 45 mins later I had seen a coot and two moorhens when suddenly a shape came steaming right to left in the middle distance.


I just had time to raise the camera as it vanished into another reed bed. 2 minutes later it reappeared for a further brief crossing during which time I did not even get a chance to point the camera again.


This is the original picture


And here is a cropped version



How often does a plan like that work ??

Back to searching for Pipits once the rain clears this week I guess.






Comments

  1. If there is a more luxurious hide I have not seen it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes all it lacks is a radiator and a coffee machine and it will be similar to some Canadian set ups !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was last at Westhay, the very helpful
    gentleman made the same suggestion to me about where to try for otter. I only got as far as the hide on stilts... as my knee was aching badly I had to turn around ... I am glad that you were successful with seeing the otter. 🙂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cape Verde 2 : six days on Santa Antao

Cape Verde 1 : in search of rare petrels and new insects