Me oh my there's some lights in the sky !!

 Paraphrasing Steve Hillage slightly but I did experience two wonderful sightings recently


The first was Comet Neowise.


I went out several times with mixed success for this and struggled to get an image with my camera any better than this


Then my, more tech savvy, daughter told me how to use my phone for this.


I was much happier with this picture taken to show the plough and the lights of Newport across the Severn with the comet above it.


 

The other sight was on a flying ant day. As normal on these occasions hundreds of ants were leaving the garden nests and disappearing into the sky. What was unique today though was that the sun's angle meant that swarms high in the air showed up as white patches. Each swarm was, presumable, a few queens surrounded by males while they flew higher and higher to test the fitness before choosing a mate. The swarms can be seen to be drifting from right to left way beyond the closer specks which are newly emerged  ants seeking height still. On landing the newly mated queens bite off their, now redundant, wings and head underground to found new nests.


Despite a lot of searching I was unable to pick out any Med gulls among the flocks that rapidly appeared to feast on the airborne bounty!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cape Verde 2 : six days on Santa Antao

Cape Verde 1 : in search of rare petrels and new insects