In search of uncommon dragonflies

Last week's discovery of a Scarce Chaser in the Gordano Valley turned my thinking  towards other species that I have rarely seen and in particular the Common Clubtail.

Several attempts long ago in stretches of the Severn and also parts of Surrey had only ever resulted in a single distant sighting. While this was OK for my then target of seeing all the British breeding species I would love to see more, and also to get photographs.

Armed with a site near Tewkesbury recommended by a friend I set off Saturday morning with high hopes. Once there I met up with Jason, a local dragonfly watcher who had the same idea in mind.

Unfortunately, several hours searching failed to deliver and we both had things to return South for.

The morning was not wasted though with many Scarce Chasers tame enough to get decent pics of and a range of damselflies including a white-legged which we don't get on our patch.

Scarce Chaser males




Scarse Chaser female



Azure damselfly



White-legged damselfly



With decent weather forecast again on Monday I decided to return and try again

Mostly the same dragons around with even better views of  Banded Demoiselles; this is the male





And two shots of females




Suddenly after a further three hours of searching miles of vegetation a dragonfly landed down a steep slope towards a large lake and I knew immediately that I had connected.

The Common Clubtail, female, only stayed for about a minute but I had time for a couple of quick shots




A further hour or more did not produce even a hint of it returning but I was very relieved, especially as the weather  for the rest of the week has been atrocious.

Among the other damselflies present was this red-eyed male


I was also very pleased to get close enough to the female too and captured the sparkly shoulders for the first time



Meanwhile back at home the Puss Moth caterpillars have almost reached pupation and are at their most magnificent



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cape Verde 1 : in search of rare petrels and new insects

Cape Verde 2 : six days on Santa Antao