a week of Butterflies

The weather was warm to hot this week so again I concentrated on insects.

Admittedly a couple of days were mostly dragonfly searching but in the absence of any particularly interesting sightings I will stick with butterflies.

A comma from last week was the first of an obvious hatch



On Wednesday my car was booked in for a service in a North Bristol garage, so I took the opportunity to avail myself of the offered courtesy car and spend a morning in Lower Woods reserve near Badminton.

The shade was very welcome as the mercury hit 29 degrees C by lunchtime. Such heat meant that butterflies were very active and thus hard to snap but perseverance paid off with the two species I most wanted to see

First a couple of White Admirals were present, though they stayed a bit high even when perched




Next were Silver-washed Fritillaries. I was despairing of ever seeing one land when I met a fellow naturalist called Rod Holbrook whose work I had seen on twitter. He had only gone a few yards further down the track before he called me over to point out an individual that kept stopping briefly in a sunny patch



On a couple of other occasions, earlier in the week I had seen Marbled Whites, probably my favourite British butterfly



On my way back  from another failed search for Common Clubtails I decided to try Aust services where White-letter Hairstreaks were breeding last year.

Though the elm trees drew a blank I was extremely fortunate to find one of these elusive butterflies nectaring on brambles nearby. This is the first time I have ever seen one relatively low down




It was a rather tatty individual but this was definitely its better side.

My last exciting find this week was again while searching for dragonflies. I happened to pass a group of 4 Poplar trees. As always I checked the trunk in case of Hornet Clearwing but this time, - unlike every other time in my entire life- there was actually a pair sitting there.



That's the second clearwing moth species I have found without a lure this year. All this extra time is paying off in some ways at least.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cape Verde 2 : six days on Santa Antao

Cape Verde 1 : in search of rare petrels and new insects