Dragonflies around Clevedon and a first visit to the levels

Last week I managed my first dragon and damselfly pictures for the year with the expectation that I would get better views. And lo: it came to pass,

Much closer views of both Large Red and Azure damselflies on the vehicle track across Weston Moor reserve







Further into the reserve fields I came across this teneral Hairy Hawker Dragonfly, unfortunately its a very fussy background ( as my friends who know about such things are wont to say ) but that was my only sighting



Back in the garden, I briefly glimpsed a Blue-tailed Damselfly before being treated to a prolonged visit from a pair of Broad-bodied Chasers



Mothwise I ran the garden trap a few times catching a number of common species. The most photogenic, though was this Poplar Hawkmoth



With the general, albeit slight, relaxing of lockdown a visit to the public footpath through Ham Wall and Shapwick was both feasible and safe

I was happy to hear and sometimes see the typical species such as Bearded Tits, Marsh Harriers, Bitterns and Great White Egrets but was unfortunate with Hobbies as the weather stayed resolutely dull until my morning was over.

Marsh Harrier



Bitterns



And a really unusual sighting...Marsh Harrier AND Bitterns



By the way; is it just me or do these two look suspiciously like American Bitterns with that striking pale wing-panel?


Oh: Just me then

Nearer to home, at Dowlais I was thrilled to see my first Lapwing chick of the year, but despite further checks could not refind it over the rest of the week, which was not so good




The chick is behind the adult in the first pic. Both pics at range in the very early morning.

Finally; last week I reported finding a Puss Moth by the pond. Well this week the eggs hatched and I transferred the tiny, black, whip-tailed caterpillars to a suitable container to watch them develop






This species undergoes dramatic colour changes as it grows so I am looking forward to following them until they pupate.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cape Verde 1 : in search of rare petrels and new insects

Cape Verde 2 : six days on Santa Antao