A new way of birding

Well, everything has changed over the past week. We started the weekend, outside at the cafe, as usual, but with the new seating arrangement, further apart, and with the take away coffee delivered to a pick up point by the staff. Within 2 days we were all effectively confined to quarters except for a daily, solo walk.

At least the weather has transformed with 5 days of almost unbroken sunshine albeit with a steadily reducing temperature.


Down at Dowlais the lapwings continue to display and a couple have moved from the far edge of the field as it has begun drying out.





At this rate I should get a sharp picture before the summer is out.

Chiffchaffs and Cettis warblers have also been singing but the only pic I managed was this reed bunting perched out on a reed head in the hedge and facing away so that it did not see me coming.


Schedule

Back in the garden I had had a cunning plan. Before the shutdown I had gone to a DIY store and bought fence paint. That way I could stave off boredom by watching my wife paint our new fence panels. This did not work out quite as hoped but at least I got the chance to glance up regularly with paintbrush in hand while she worked from home.

Mostly the skies were empty but for one brief minute at least 4 buzzards and a sparrowhawk all appeared together. I was quick enough to capture a couple with my camera



Two red kites that passed over Clevedon on Wed lunchtime both managed to avoid me and go directly between two friends gardens instead. The eagle reported today from a nearby village has also given me the swerve.

With the constant sunshine, however a few early insects have been appearing in the garden to brighten the enforced periods we are all spending there, at least those of us fortunate enough to have a garden.

Three butterflies either flew through, Brimstone, or landed

Peacock



and a comma, though this preferred the washing as a rest site


In addition I had my first dark-bordered bee fly of the year



and today, this green shield bug (kindly confirmed by TVs Bob the entomologist via WhatsApp)



I have again tried my hand at a video, this time a kestrel by the road at channel view




Finally a picture of one of the local little egrets that happened to fly past me while I had my camera handy this week


Hopefully I'll have some garden migrants to report on next week




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cape Verde 2 : six days on Santa Antao

Cape Verde 1 : in search of rare petrels and new insects