Welcome to my blog about the wildlife I see near to my home in Clevedon, near Bristol in the UK.

This is intended to share some of the animals, birds and insects that I find as I wander around the local area. Hopefully it will help others to see them too. I plan to update it roughly once a week but don't hold me to that !

So far January 2020 has been warm and generally wet and gloomy but there have still been some unexpected things around.


Without doubt my highlight has been this otter that swam up the Blind Yeo and under the Yatton road bridge at 2.00 pm on the 10th. I followed it for a few hundred metres but never got especially close as it worked the margins, mostly underwater searching for a late lunch.

This river is a great site for Goosanders in the winter with the flock varying daily from a couple to nearly 20.


A less typical duck is this Mandarin who has taken up residence on the Land Yeo recently and can sometimes be seen near the strode road traffic calming section.



I intend to keep checking the area around Dowlais in the hope that some birds will move into the area should this Winter finally turn cold.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cape Verde 2 : six days on Santa Antao

Cape Verde 1 : in search of rare petrels and new insects